Naomi Faith's Arrival

The New Renfro Family

Monday night we went to bed around 1:00 am. Veronica and Melody had been over that day. We had lunch at a Peruvian restaurant, came home, had coke floats, watched the movie Up and ate popcorn. It was a fun day off and a great way to pass the time as I anxiously awaited for Naomi to get here. I was 39 weeks and 2 days along. That night before bed I journaled a bit in Naomi’s prayer journal, then fell asleep in Josh’s arms as he consoled my tears of anxiousness and impatience. At 2:30something am I was awakened by a sharp abdominal pain. It wasn’t the type of contraction I had been looking out for. I decided to have a bit of hope and began to take down the time. At 2:45 I felt another one. I thought to myself “can this be it”. I laid there and just waited. 3:00 am, another one. I turned on the lamp and Josh must have sensed something because he rolled over and asked if I was ok. I, surprised at the fact he had actually woken up, told him I thought I was having contractions and that I was keeping track of them. He said “ok let me know what happens”, rolled over and went back to sleep. I had a few more contractions 13, 7, 8, 10 minutes apart. I still didn’t want to rush or get my hopes up. The only thing that kept me doubting was that there was no other signs that I was going into labor. The contractions were also quite bearable if not I would have sped up our trip to the clinic! I decided to gather my things and take a shower just in case. I also informed Josh that this might be it and he too got out of bed. I got in the shower around 4:00 am and didn’t feel any contractions. The warm water definitely brought some relief. But as soon as I got out I had more contractions... 7, 6, 5 minutes apart. I then called my mom and told her of the pattern and she was pretty sure I was in labor and that I better go to the clinic. About 4:50 am the mucus plug was expelled. This is when I decided to call my midwife Nevenka. She said it would be best for me to go to the clinic where she would meet me and check me out. Josh and I walked out the door at 5:00 am. The contractions not only got stronger in the car, but they where exactly 4 minutes apart. Yet, Josh and I remained calm and were just so overcome with excitement that Naomi was finally coming. As soon as we arrived to the clinic and during the check in process the contractions became rather strong and 2 to 3 minutes apart! My midwife was not there yet so the midwife on shift began to examine me. By then I was in PAIN! and to top things off she informed me I was dilated 7cm! “Ok lets get you into pre delivery” she said and thats when things began to happen rather quickly.


When we first arrived. In between contractions I felt fine!


My amazing husband who was the best support!


Nevenka my midwife. She was wonderful and stuck by me the whole time.


The contractions got much stronger and closer. I was still not sure if I wanted an epidural or not. My plan was to go completely natural. My midwife said she was going to call the anesthesiologist just in case. She said I could opt for a really small dose. “What about the breathing exercises” I thought and “the advantage of feeling my body as I pushed.” The pain was just too unbearable and by then I had reached 8 cm. By the time the anesthesiologist got there, got prepped and gave me the medication I must have been close to 9cm. Finally the epidural kicked in. I could still feel the contractions but they became more bearable. In no time I had reached 10cm, but what kept me from going into the delivery room was Naomi’s head. It would not drop far enough into my pelvis to start pushing. This is where things got complicated because the small dose I had wore out and once again I was in excruciating pain. The pain was so strong there was no way I could position myself to make her head drop. They offered more medication, I took it. Except the effect was too strong. My blood pressure dropped, I was extremely nauseous and a strong sleepiness came over me. The medication calmed the pain down a bit too much. We waited a few minutes so that I could regain my strength. By then my doctor checked and decided she was ready and they rolled me into the delivery room. At this point I felt so vulnerable because I could not feel a thing and how was I suppose to push! “Ok Mayra you’re gonna have to give it all you’ve got” I thought to myself. If all I could do was push then I had set my mind to it. Earlier Nevenka had instructed me on what I needed to do and how to push correctly. In a few moments I was ready to deliver. Nevenka close by telling me when I needed to push. I pushed four times and little Naomi was out and by the time I knew it we were face to face. The feeling I felt when I saw her for the first time is one I can not possibly describe. She was born at 10am on the dot, weighed 7.5 lbs and measured 20.5 inches. She was perfect! My heart was overwhelmed with joy and gratefulness to God for a healthy beautiful baby and a smooth delivery. He had answered my prayers so specifically!

The best moment of my life!


Daddy - daughter bonding



Comments

childofyah said…
wow. that was so beautiful, that i am sitting in Caribou crying. :* You did great mom! Praise God because His timing is always perfect!!!

She is a gorgeous baby girl. Thanks for letting us be a part of it!

Love
Joanna
cougarhoogs said…
oh, friend! i absolutely loved reading every bit of this. what an adventure of a lifetime!
little Naomi is already so loved and adored. cannot wait to meet her...until then, we'll just enjoy all the pictures and stories.
Naomi is beautiful. Can't wait for her to meet Roan. Naomi Volkmer has a great ring to it.
Unknown said…
Oh! I have tears in my eyes girl - that is so beautiful!
so, so happy for you guys - you're going to be wonderful parents!

Popular posts from this blog

BUSES AND COFFEE

Transgenerational Discipleship

First Student Retreat - Summer 2009